Monday, January 19, 2009

Winter Blues....

No! Not what you are thinking, the "Winter Blues" ...as in sad and tired of it already??? never-not me! I love winter (well, ........usually I love it). I mean "winter blues" as in Bo Bunny Winter Whisper blues and browns and creams and what an awesome January Kit of the Month! There are still some left in the store if you hurry you can get one too! I just LOVE it and I made these two layouts with it:

I also made cards, and tags, a keychain or two, and a book mark,...and I still have stuff left! You get everything you see here practically including the glitter transparency and rub-ons and ribbon and MORE believe it or not - there are these incredible chipboard Maya Road snowflakes (check out the gallery and see what my friend Becky did with those) I altered them with paint and glossy accents and used them as a key fob for my locker at the ski slope we frequent. This kit is such a GREAT deal....

Truth be told, I also did a few layouts with the Prima Spaceboy line but I love this so much I wanted to blog on it and I have a neat trick to teach you too. I am SO excited!! As I sit here in New Hampshire and look out my window at the flakes STILL falling from yesterday's storm and the snow we are now measuring in feet right outside my door, hey I can show you. It is like this:
Get the "picture" ?? hahaha:) My mind wanders thinking of the beauty of it all - I just love the sparkling crystals of snow when it is real cold they stay neatly formed even on the outdoor surfaces like railings and cars...it was -27F here Saturday, I know, I was lugging totes of scrappy supplies to my crop out there....I wasn't out long but I sure did enjoy the pretty shiny whiteness of it all. And today I wore sunglasses this afternoon as the sunlight glistening off the snow everywhere was blinding! I always try to absorb this look and the feel of it all right after a fresh fallen snowstorm as it does not stay like this long- the cars and snowmobiles track across these untouched mounds of driveway and the yard. The snowplows, shovelers and maintenance folk with the salt and sand keep us safe but they muddy the pretty whiteness all too soon and we lose the beauty to the practicality of winter-life in NH! But,I always wanted to duplicate the beauty of this in a layout and I am excited to tell you, I found a GREAT technique for this! If you love white, shiny and sparkle as much as I do you will want to try this technique. I love it as much as I love THICKERS and everyone knows I LOVE my THICKERS- check this out, I combined the two! Look close at the Boardin' layout title-I'll help you... and it's even better in real life, trust me.Can you see how cool these letters are?
They shine and twinkle! I know you all know my DT and Consultant friend Ginnifer...well, Ginnifer has been altering her Thickers with Ranger glossy accents and all kinds of stuff so I took the idea from her and altered these white foam thinkers too - I love the result. I chose my title, then I lightly laid the letters out on a piece of wax paper. I coated each of them with Stickles (Icicle ones of course) and let them dry. Then I covered them all again with the Ranger Glossy Accents and let THAT dry- as it dried they curled a bit. If I liked the curling effect I let it happen (like the "a" and "r" here a bit) but if it got out of hand I just pushed them back down firmly with my paper piercer onto the wax sheet and all was well. When they dried they were like hard tiles and still had plenty of AC stickiness on back so I was able to pop them right onto my layout! How easy and cool is that?? I love the effect!

Now YOU try- you alter your title on a layout using a new technique and tell us about it here or on the AC Bailey General forum- I will start a scrap chatter thread called Blog Challenge 1/19 for this and on 2/19 I will draw and post here a random winner from all who post a new idea...like my friend Gin did - it inspired me and I hope I inspire you!

And,...I am hoping those of you who have SNOW are out enjoying it, those of you who don't have enjoyed seeing it on this post.

Oh, the Prima Spaceboys stuff?? Keep checking back, I will sneak it on here another day this month. Heck, I may even teach another cool technique then too or do another give-away...who knows. You will have to come back and see....I love being a tease!
Happy Scrapping -
Gail (scrapqn)

1 comment:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin