Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Technique Tuesday 10/13/2009

I love buttons – I love the look of them in little jars separated by color – I love spilling them out to select the perfect one for the center of my flower or to use as an accent on my pages. I love using twine to tie through the holes instead of using embroidery floss, and I have seen buttons tied with ribbon and raffia, like the one Audrea did here.


I love filling the holes with Stickles or Dimensional Pearls. The last few weeks though, I have seen buttons used in some of the most unique ways.





Buttons can be used to make a snowman by stacking one on top of the other like this.







Scalloped edges have become very popular in scrapbooking and card making – but did you ever think about making a scalloped edge with a row of buttons like Amy did here:









I always turn to buttons for the center of flowers, but did you ever make a flower or tree from buttons? Yvette did a fabulous job on these two cards where she made a topiary on one card and made little trees out of buttons on another.




I am thinking that buttons could be made into Lollipops, or used to replace wheels on a Bus, Bike, Car, Baby Stroller.

Buttons can be used for bullets to accent journaling or in place of brads to accent a curve or a corner. They make fantastic photo frames too!


There are lots of ways to decorate buttons. They can be inked with Staz-On, accented with Stickles or Dimensional Pearls, and can be decorated with a rub-on like this one.





Buttons can be decorated with a Sharpie, Slick Writer, or Signo Pen.
Crackle Paint will not stick to a glossy button, but it will stick nicely to a cloth button.





Buttons can also be accented with brads like shown here and here .

I really hope that this has given you some new ideas about buttons – or maybe serves a reminder to use buttons on your layouts and cards more often. Whatever it may be – can’t wait to see!
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin