Thursday, November 26, 2009

Member Spotlight-Emma Hicks



1. Tell us a little about yourself and your family. Hello My Name is Emma Hicks.  I am married to the love of my life. We have shared 24 wonderful years that include three kids and four grandchildren. I would not trade one day of my last 24 years for anything.  My Family and all that we have been through have made me who I am today.  Me and my husband are empty nesters so when we got lonely we got two pure black Poms and a Blue Heeler,  which keep up busy. I am working at the local Wal-Mart on the graveyard shift. I hate to admit it but I love my job, I just am not thrilled about the hours.
2. How and when did you start scrap booking? In late 2006 I was invited to a small local crop, from there I was hooked. I even quit smoking to fund my scrapbooking.  My husband says I traded one addition for another.
3. How would you describe your scrap booking style? My style is anything goes. Well as long as it turn out...LOL!! I keep experimenting with different ideas, looking for something way cool… sometimes I get it right some time well, I don’t talk about those times. I find myself at  present working with vintage and earthy colors.  I still love the worn inked look and I love to add interesting pieces to my work, it could be metal jewelry components, or bits of fun memorabilia. It goes without saying Tim Holtz is my scrapbooking hero. I absolutely love his style.
4. How often do you journal? Is it important to you? I don’t journal as often as I should. I seem to let  the title  tell the story.  I have journaled on the back or used hidden journaling, but for the most part, I am lazy in this area.
5. Do you have a dedicated scrap space ( room )? Oh yes I do thank God. If I did to the kitchen what I did to this room my DH would move out...I am a messy scrapper with each project the mess grows until I am forced to clean, I have bought everything needed to organize myself but then I can’t find what I need so it is all out on the table.
6. What are your "go to " tools or supplies when you scrap? I would have to say my Cricut spatula, the dental pick that come in the Cricut tool kit, my sanding block and my Bind-It-All. The spatula, for removing or repositioning anything on my layout's,  the dental pick for setting letters and small item like bling on my layouts, my sanding block for giving everything an aged effect and the Bind-It All,  for binding all the albums I make- which has become my passion. 






7. Where do you start when you get ready to create- sketches, supplies, photos...? The paper. I have a paper fetish. I LOVE paper and I am always on the look out for a good deal. Like At AC Bailey if you buy 25 sheet the same color of the Bazzill you save 30% . So I never buy less than 25 of the colors I use the most.
8. Are you a scrapper or an artist? Good question.. I think I am a little of both with some free will thrown in. I call myself a Scrapper but I always have to put that artsy touch on everything - ink or paint, glossy accents or crackle accents, dimensional paints or stickles.  I have to add the finishing touches that make it artsy. So I guess I start off with a basic color pallet and end with an artsy flair.
P.S.
I do have to say that I owe a lot of my scrapping free will to AC Bailey for allowing a newbie scrapper to be on the DT team, I learned a lot from trying the new products that Erica put in the DT Kit. Some of these Items I would never of tried if not for my DT position. I remember some months looking in the box and scratching my head thinking what am I going to do with this… But it always came together. Some months I rocked it, other well we won’t go there. But all in all my style evolved over the year I was on the DT.



by:C. Mercer

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely say you are an artist, Emma. I love your style and ideas....So great to find out a little "about you"...and there's nothing wrong with loving your job..I love mine too..its a gift from God...if we have to work at least He gave us something we love right??? Keep sharing with us!! Sandi

    ReplyDelete

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin