Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Basic Grey Sultry - Altered Tray

This paper set is so lovely! Basic Grey never fails to disappoint though do they? When I alter anything, I almost always reach for a BG line - it's so rich and gives any project such class. So, when I saw this paper line available in the store, and it just so happened to go perfectly with my guest room decor, well it was settled! I'd finally tackle one of those cute little wooden trays you can find in any craft store (check near the bird houses).



Here's how you can make one too:

Products used include:

Sultry Paper Set

Sultry Glazed Brads

Bazzil Paper Flowers

Other:

Paint in any color you choose

Mod Podge Adhesive (which I've found works best for me on wood items)

Glue Dots

You will be amazed at how fast this will come together for you! The instructions are really quite simple.
  • Paint all portions of the tray you do not wish to cover with paper. You could cover the whole thing if you wish, but I chose the easy way out of doing those tough corners.
  • Trim your paper to fit the inside of your tray, and attach with Mod Podge.
  • Do the same with the sides, or do as I do and guess on the length, attach it with Mod Podge, and trim it up later.
  • Use sand paper or a file to get those clean edges.
  • To attach brads to something that they won't necessarily "punch" through, simply twist the back spokes off first and attach with Glue Dots. A quick trip to your hubby's tool box to grab his pliers makes pretty quick work of this step.
  • And finally, attach flowers or whatever embellishment (if any!) you'd like to the inside with Glue Dots.

This tray will mostly be decoration in our guest room... but the possibilities to do more are endless. Here are a few ideas to spark your imagination:

  • Add pretty stationery and a nice pen set to carry with you when you're in the mood to do some letter writing.
  • Keep your bottles of Prima Flowers on it for a nice display.
  • Add a few sample size toiletries, a magazine, and a few mints as a guest room welcome gift.
  • Make a kitchen themed tray and add recipe cards and a few utensils as a wedding shower gift.
  • Or some baby powder, wipes, onesies, etc as a baby shower gift.
  • And finally, use it as a unique display piece on your wall - hey why not add pictures! :)

The trays cost around $5.00 to $8.00 in my area depending on the size. I do believe I'm going to have to go grab a few more. Thanks so much for visiting us today, and have a great day!

All the best,

Jess

3 comments:

  1. Oh my this turned out great! I have been wanting to do one of these, now I know which pp to use! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with this! Beautiful job, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, the tray is beautiful! Love those papers and the flowers. tfs! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin